April 22, 2009

Home Study

Today we had our home study! I've been so anxious and excited for this day because this is our last formal meeting, which means we're almost approved! It went so well. It was so much easier than I could've ever imagined. I was so worried - wondering if our smoke detectors were in the right places, wondering if I had to baby-proof anything yet, etc. Our caseworker was so great. He stuck his head in the rooms and that was it. He just made sure we had smoke detectors (which were just fine) and a fire extinguisher. The rest of the time was spent watching a great video he brought. ABC had done a special a while ago that followed birthmothers along their path of placing their babies for adoption. It was so neat to watch. I have gained such a huge respect and love for these special girls that are in these situations. I can't even imagine what they have to go through. I now know that they are such an important part in Heavenly Father's plan to help families grow and I am so grateful for them and their selfless choice to do what they feel is best for their child. I can't wait to meet our birthmother - I already feel such an amazing love for her and her family. I've learned (especially from this video) that this isn't just hard for the birthmothers, but also their families. I feel like I've been so self-involved that I hadn't even started thinking about how hard this is for all those involved. This has been such an amazing growing experience for me - I can't believe how much I've learned in such a short time and how much I continue to learn about Heavenly Father's plan.

So our next step is to get our profile together while we wait for our background checks to come back. We still need to write our birthparent letter and figure our which pictures we're going to use. :) So exciting!!

6 comments:

Kristi S. said...

That's so awesome! I'm so glad you share your feelings about it because I've learned a lot too--just from what you're doing. I definitely had never thought about the families of birthmothers before. Thank you for sharing that too. :)

stephschmidt said...

Ditto Kristi :) I can't believe you're already done with your last formal meeting! This process has been just amazing! So happy for you guys!

Katie-babe said...

This whole process seems to be going so fast! Just shows that there is a little one waiting for you two. I'm so excited for you. I'll keep you in my prayers. Love you two!

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Ang.. I have never seen you so lit up before! I can tell this is exactly what you two should be doing right now. By the way, those pics are great. Really well done. You two are just the type I would trust to give a child to if I were in that situation.

Pat said...

That really IS so exciting, and the love you feel for everyone, including the birth mother and her family and Heavenly Father, as well as your baby, comes through so clearly as you write. You have such a wonderful perspective about the whole process and the feelings of everyone involved. I can hardly wait to see the pictures! Thanks again for sharing!

Weavers said...

Thanks for sharing your experience! I've loved reading about the process and all of the amazing experiences you have had so far. Good luck with all that's in store!!